Sometimes, I try a new twist on a standard dish and think to myself, "Self, why have you not tried this before?" And then I wonder if I can ever go back to the standard. Well, ladies and gentlemen, behold, Broccoli Cheddar Potato Mashers. This twist on standard mashed potatoes has literally rocked my world, and both My Giant and I swear this is how we will eat mashed potatoes from here on out. I also feel awesome about working in some extra veggies into our meal. Give this dish a try and I swear you will heart it forever!
Cheddar Broccoli Potato Mashers
6-8 potatoes (I prefer Yukon)
1 small head of broccoli - chopped
1 cup milk (or if being scandalous, half and half or heavy cream)
4-6 tablespoons butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the potatoes into 1 inch cubes and place in pot with cold water enough to cover potatoes. (No need to peel if using Yukon. I still do, but only because I despise potato skins).
- Bring potatoes to a boil, then reduce the heat to med-high and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes to broccoli and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and broccoli and return to the hot pan to dry out the potatoes.
- Add butter, milk and cheese and mash with a potato masher to desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.